The Co-op philosophy
is premised on a number of related facts:
* There are compassionate individuals that
want assurance the meat they consume comes from humanely raised
* There are educated consumers interested
in purchasing food that has been naturally raised under environmentally
sensitive conditions without the use of antibiotics, steroids, growth
hormones or other chemical additives.
* There is a growing movement away from industrialized
commercial food factories and toward the return of the family farm.
* There is a desire to purchase directly
from the farm, to understand where and how the food on the table
has been produced, and to support the local economy.
* There is increasing concern that the vast
majority of poultry products are derived from birds intensely selected
for industrial production, resulting in a commercial poultry gene
pool devoid of diversity and vulnerable to disaster.
The Co-op Intent:
1. To provide concerned consumers with a
reliable source of good quality, humanely raised meat and poultry
2. To provide predictable revenue streams
with minimal overhead to help sustain the local production of naturally
raised chemical free livestock.
3. To provide direct links between consumers
and producers to foster a personal connection with the food they
eat and the land upon which it was produced.
4. To strengthen local economies by keeping
food dollars within the community.
5. To encourage the establishment of heritage
poultry breed gene pools that can provide genetic diversity and
long term breed viability.